Traditional Braces – Parsippany, NJ
Providing Trusted Orthodontic Care in Parsippany
Braces are a wonderful way to enhance the appearance of your smile while also improving your oral and overall health. People of all ages can benefit from a properly-aligned smile, and your orthodontist in Parsippany can help you or your child achieve it with traditional orthodontics. Whether it is crooked teeth, overcrowding, gaps between teeth, or a bite alignment issue, regular braces are a tried-and-true solution to help patients see results that will last a lifetime. Keep reading to learn more about how traditional braces in our Parsippany, NJ dental office work and how you can schedule a virtual consultation with Dr. Kitay today.
How Do Traditional Braces Work?
Traditional braces are metal brackets that are fixed to the front surface of the teeth. A wire is threaded through each bracket and tightened at various intervals throughout the treatment. By manipulating the wire, your orthodontist is able to place pressure on different areas of the bite to gradually bring the teeth into the proper position.
Traditional braces work in two stages: first, the tooth is moved, and then its root moves along to catch up. The total treatment time for traditional braces depends on the complexity of the case -- most patients are finished with braces between 18 and 24 months.
Traditional Orthodontics for Children and Teens
If your child or teenager undergoes regular treatment with Dr. Rauchberg, he and our team will be able to monitor their smile as it develops over time. While it is our goal to detect problems early on and attempt to curb the effects, there are still instances that permanent teeth will not erupt as they should, which will ultimately mean a need for orthodontic treatment.
When this happens, we will work closely with you and your child to determine the right method of treatment to realign their teeth and bite and give them a healthier, more beautiful smile they can feel good about well into the future.
Traditional Orthodontics for Adults
When it comes to wanting to improve your smile, anyone who could benefit from orthodontic treatment can choose traditional braces, no matter the age. Some ways to tell if your teeth are out of alignment include:
- An aching jaw or chronic headaches
- Evidence of nighttime teeth grinding or jaw clenching
- Visibly misaligned teeth
- Tartar buildup between crowded teeth
- Frequently getting food lodged between certain teeth
- Soft tissue injuries due to teeth that jut out or are crooked
The only way to know for sure whether or not you can benefit from traditional braces, Invisalign, or tooth-colored braces is to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kitay, our in-house orthodontist, to discuss braces in Parsippany.
Caring for Traditional Braces
Apart from making sure you attend your regular appointments with Dr. Kitay throughout treatment, you should be sure to also do the following:
- Brush regularly. You’ll need to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and tilt it at a 45-degree angle to get around the gum line, brackets, and along the chewing surfaces and backsides of your teeth. It is also helpful to invest in an interdental brush to get the sides of your brackets and underneath the wire.
- Floss. Because food particles and bacteria can become trapped between your teeth, you may need to purchase a dental flosser or water irrigator to make flossing easier. These devices make it more manageable when attempting to get underneath the wire and between your teeth. This continued practice will keep your teeth free of decay and gum disease while wearing braces.
Avoid certain foods. Although you may not want to, you should steer clear of any hard, crunchy, or chewy foods, as they can not only damage your natural teeth but also potentially cause a wire to pop out or bracket to come off. While wearing braces, stay away from:
- Dried fruit
- Corn on the cob